Schumer said men from New Jersey and Washington State were recently hospitalized after swallowing metal bristles that fell off their grill brushes. He said that reports indicate that similar incidents occurred nearly a dozen times over the last three years.
In a Monday letter to both agencies, Schumer called on both agencies to review the safety of these products, and to consider a product recall if necessary.
Under current law, manufacturers and importers are required to report potentially dangerous products to the CPSC.
Schumer also asked that both agencies issue public warnings about the possible dangers associated with grill brushes.
"I respectfully request that both agencies take immediate action — such as an advisory on your websites — to warn consumers of the risk of serious injury from accidentally ingesting metal grill brush bristles that are loose or have already broken off," he wrote.