“It has been 48 days since the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attack on our U.S. consulate and the CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya,” Johanns wrote. “It is unacceptable that you have yet to provide a clear accounting of the events and decisions that led to the brutal murders of four brave Americans.”
The most recent news report that Republicans are using to criticize the administration is that Panetta refused to deploy troops to help those at the consulate.
“If it is true that requests for help during the attack were denied, such denials would be outrageous and inexcusable,” the letter stated. “American blood was shed at the hands of terrorists. Brave men who dedicated themselves to service and believed their country would stand behind them were left unprotected and brutally murdered. Americans deserve truthful, timely and complete answers. The families of these American heroes deserve answers.”
Last week, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne FeinsteinDianne FeinsteinLawmakers praise bonus-clawback suspension, pledge permanent fix Defense chief pledges to 'resolve' bonus clawback issue California National Guard official: Congress knew about bonus repayments MORE (D-Calif.) announced that she would hold a hearing on the attack in Benghazi after the election. The House has already started an investigation.
Johanns said, “Americans suspect a full accounting of the facts will be delayed until the election is over and this administration would be very well-served to prove them wrong.”
Earlier this month, Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonCruz: Precedent exists for keeping Supreme Court short-staffed Clinton: AT&T deal 'raises questions and concerns' Poll: Clinton leads Trump by 3 nationally MORE said she'd take responsibility for the lack of security during the attack in order "to avoid some kind of political 'gotcha' " for the administration.
In an interview with MSNBC aired last week, Obama vowed that he would find the people responsible and urged lawmakers to allow the administration to conduct a full probe into the attack, acknowledging that as commander in chief, he was “ultimately” responsible for the security of U.S. diplomats.