By The Hill Staff - 06/01/10 10:50 PM EDT
• Paula Stannard has joined Alston & Bird as part of the firm’s healthcare group in Washington. She served in the Health and Human Services Department as deputy general counsel and acting general counsel. Stannard also worked as an associate at the law firm Skadden Arps and law clerk to Judge J.L. Edmondson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, in Atlanta.
• Two major law firms, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal and Denton Wilde Sapte, have agreed to combine to form SNR Denton. The merger will be subject to a partnership vote on June 9. The new firm will have more than 1,400 lawyers and professionals based in 18 countries, with its two largest offices in London and New York.
• Mark Burkhalter has joined McKenna Long & Aldridge as a senior strategic adviser and independent consultant. He will be based in the firm’s Atlanta office but will spend considerable time in London. Burkhalter resigned from the Georgia State General Assembly in April after 18 years, leaving office as the speaker emeritus after having served as Speaker of the House and Speaker pro tempore since 2004. In 2008, he served on the platform committee of the Republican National Convention and also worked for former Rep. Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) in Washington.
• Anita McBride has joined APCO Worldwide. She will be a member of the company’s International Advisory Council and a senior counselor with Global Political Strategies. McBride is a former assistant to President George W. Bush and chief of staff to former first lady Laura Bush.
• Thomas P. Quaadman has been promoted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to vice president of the Chamber’s Center for Capital Markets Competitiveness. Quaadman has been executive director for financial reporting and investor opportunity at the center since 2008. Before coming to the business association, Quaadman was chief of staff to former Rep. Vito Fossella (R-N.Y.).
• John J. Klusaritz has joined Foley & Lardner as a partner in the firm’s Washington office. He will be working with the transactional and securities practice group and energy industry team. Klusaritz is a former partner at Bingham McCutchen.