First lady Michelle ObamaMichelle ObamaWhy cutting back ‘free’ school lunches would be a favor to families Instagram taps former Michelle Obama, Clinton aide to lead communications Americans should get used to pop culture blending with politics MORE will deliver her first solo weekly address on Saturday to express her outrage over the kidnapping of Nigerian schoolgirls, the White House said Friday.
Earlier this week, Obama tweeted a call for the safe return of the nearly 300 missing children, writing that "our prayers are with the missing Nigerian girls and their families."
The first lady posted a picture of herself holding a sign with the social media hashtag "#BringBackOurGirls" along with her Twitter message.
Earlier Friday, press secretary Jay Carney refused to confirm reports that the group of girls had been split up by their abductors, saying only that he was "concerned" over the possibility.
"We have seen reports about the whereabouts of the Nigerian girls who were abducted," Carney told MSNBC. "We cannot confirm any individual report, I can't get into any intelligence we may have."
Carney also defended the administration from criticism it did not declare Boko Haram, the Islamist organization which has claimed responsibility for the kidnappings, as a terror group during the tenure of former Secretary of State Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonTrump: DNC chairman's race ‘rigged’ Dem 2020 hopefuls lead pack in opposing Trump Cabinet picks Perez to hit the Sunday shows following election victory MORE.
The administration did impose sanctions against some Boko Haram leaders, and the State Department designated the organization a terror group in November 2013.
"The fact is we have been working with the Nigerian government and others in the battle against Boko Haram," Carney said.